Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Not So Bummer Summer: Part the Second

Anyone Up For A Road Trip?

I spent more time in a car this summer then I have my entire life. But its all been for a good cause. So just like most sane people wouldn't choose to run 26.2 miles just for fun, we add a good cause to the mix and all the spots run out. ha ha get it "run out"? just a little marathon humor there to get us rolling. It started with flying home to LA so I could see my brother and his family. My mom and one of my sisters was there to see my oh so talented but much to humble sister in law in her leading role of Marin in the Music Man. At least I think that is why they were there...I spent most of the first 10 days home from china sleeping so its all a little blurry  What I do remember of California was very nice and enjoyed by all. The drive from Bakersfield to Salt Lake began my summer love affair with the road. 

Shortly After returning home from Bakersfield I left for Portland Oregon to witness my best friends wedding. I have never been to Oregon and must say that it was beautiful. I heard once that it was the original destination of the pioneer saints. I'm not questioning God on this one but after seeing it I'm starting to wonder if Brigham Young was sure about the whole "this is the place" thing. I have never seen so much green in my life. Everything is so alive and smells awesome. Me and my friend Cherie left Thursday morning and drove the twelve hours there to be there Friday and Saturday and left Sunday morning. Heather and her husband Jason come from very good families. They were both so nice and inclusive. We both felt like we were part of the wedding party being invited to take part in all of the activities including the wedding lunch. On the drive up we had listen to an audio version of Jane Austin's North Hanger Abbe. In it there is a line "going to a wedding brings on another." Me and Cherie thought it was pretty funny in and of its own right, but it sure made flirting with the boys at the wedding much more enjoyable. While the trip was much too short for my liking it was such an honor to be there and be a part of such a special day for my friend. I also felt like the lord was handing out tender mercies to me the whole trip. Jason's family is from Flower Mound Texas one of the cities in my mission that I served close too. The sealer was Brother Wooley, definitely a relative some how, and the coolest one was that on the last night talking with Heather's family we discovered that my Uncle Art had been her dad's mission president. How cool is that.  

About a week after coming home I drove down to Vegas to witness the sealing of my sister and brother-in-law. What a neat trip that was. Merilee and Mark were able to be sealed for time and all eternity on their fifth wedding anniversary. It has been such a long road for them with many bumps but they have weathered them like champs and it was a beautiful thing to witness. I have been to about 6 temple sealings now and this was the first one for a family member. What a neat experience to be in that room for your own family members and see the miracle of how God gives us each other to take care of and love. Many of the sealings I've been to were for good friends, life long friends, but this was the first where I felt the eternal connections that these wedding provide us. Definitely one of the top moments of my life.

Not as far as Vegas or Portland, but this last weekend I drove to Manti for the wedding of my childhood and life long friend Ashlee Jack. This sealing had very special meaning to me in that I never thought it would be possible just 5 years ago. Heck just 2 years ago. After I moved back to Utah from Vegas, I found my friends lives in very different states then I remember leaving them. My Friend Ashlee had wandered and lost part of her testimony of the gospel while I had been gone. The next three years saw much heart ache on my end and struggle on hers. While we tried to keep our friendship, active I felt like I was living the song "How to Save A Life" by the fray. We were going down different paths. I was preparing for a mission and building my relationship with Christ while Ashlee was doing basically everything the complete opposite. I came home from my mission and found things in much the same state. Ashlee was trying to turn her life around at this point but with few inroads. As happens with life we had little contact after our initial catching up when I came home, so I was a little surprised when I had a message from her saying she was getting married and wanted me to meet the guy. Ashlee and I have the relationship where we will always be best friends. Sure we didn't talk for over a year but she is still my best friend, and it was important to both of us that I meet the guy before any rings appeared on any fingers. I had to give my approval. I was floored when she told me they would be getting married in the temple! This from the girl that I was not even sure would be alive that year from the life style choices she had been making. I was so ecstatic I cried for about an hour. Ashlee found a good one. They are so perfect together, and such a strength together. Now Ashlee made all the right choice on her own, but I like to think that at least a tenth of a percent of her change was owing to my example and friendship. I have so much respect and love for her that to be at her wedding was possibly the highlight of my summer, such an honor. It was gorgeous and she was radiant! I think I can die happy now after that event. 

While I stated above that much of my diving has been for good causes, and with the events listed above you can see what I mean, that hard part of all my driving this summer has been the commuting. I moved to South Jordan this summer to be with family and save some money. Committing to Orem for school and work has been a beast this summer. The extra time with family has been greatly cherished, but I hate driving two hours a day, its just too much for me. I often use driving as my time to think, a little bit of "me" time if you know what I mean. So by now I should be a genius with as much think time as I have had. Sadly that is untrue and all I have added is more miles to my car and more money to the gas fund. I love my family but I will be very happy to be done commuting the end of this summer. It is time for me and the road to break up.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you traveled to come to our sealing. You did do a fair amount of traveling this summer. All for weddings. Glad you have a place to be that is close to campus.

    ReplyDelete